Monday 16 March 2015

French seams

What do you know, I remembered and used something that I was taught quite a few years ago, almost fifty if my maths is right.

A few weeks ago, I decided to make myself a pair of shortie pjs. i had a nice piece of fabric that was suitable in colours that I like, mauve and pinks and blues, it was a mishmash of colours but it worked. I had to be a bit inventive in cutting out as again I had bought the fabric because I liked it not with any plan in mind at the time so it really wasn't quite enough.

Because of the type of fabric, some of the seams pulled out and others unravelled after a couple of washes. While they was nice and I had spent time and effort to make it, it was going to take much more time and effort to mend and fix, I binned them.

Sometimes I can let things go and other times I am determined to make something work, this was an other time, so next time I was at Spotlight I bought some more silky type fabric suitable for night wear. I figured that I had to make the seams stronger so that they didn't pull out of the stitches.

Light Bulb moment. Wayyyy way back when I was at High School and learning dressmaking we did have a small unit about French Seams that could and should be used for light material.

I proceeded to cut out the pattern leaving extra on the seams so that I could execute French seams, so far so good for the top. I aim to finish it and the shorts today and have photos later.

A french seam is sewing the wrong sides together at first and then turning and sew another seam on top enclosing the first seam.

The material that I chose was in the bargain bin and therefore cheaper, I wanted one and a half metres I thought would be enough however if I bought the whole roll or what was left on the roll, it was 50% off, not one to pass up a discount and there was only three and a half metres left, I bought the lot. I will make kids boxers for the excess for the charity that I support, the fabric is dark blue with small polka dots

No comments:

Post a Comment