Saturday 20 August 2016

International Geo caching day

Fifteen years ago the first geo cache was hidden and now today there are thousands out and about, nana small to large boxes. Some are very sneaky but all give a sense of achievement once they have been located and the log signed.

If we go out and get one today and log it, then we receive a virtual certificate on our profile.

I have a tracking bug that I picked up earlier in the week which I will pass along today. It is a small polar bear and its owner wanted it to travel the world, so far it has travelled over 28,000 kms. I will help it travel 40 kms.

These travel bugs are logged, picked up and left by geo cachers to move along as quickly as possible. This is the second that I have collected and sent packing.

There are heaps of caches around this area but most of them as traditionals. I think there are about seven different types, including Multi, Mystery and letter boxes.

Usually there is a bit of a story about the place that the cache take one to or a reason why it could be a nice park, some historical place or just good scenery, they are all different.

My favourite has been one Sheridan and I did in Darwin. We had had a big day, 28 in a day and this was called a ghost run or similar, Ghost was certainly in the title. We had to walk about 800 metres up a fire track and then branch off into the bush. When we got close, there were white material shaped like ghosts hanging from a tree and we needed to be looking for a ghost gum. The cache was at the base of  ghost gum.

All that is needed to cache is a phone with a GPS and a bit of a sense of adventure.We have found about 128 so far, still a novice.

Today I hope to finish my TOTT bag, (stands for tools of the trade) photos to come when I get it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment