Friday 11 July 2014

Sewing days

I took Warren to Spotlight a few weeks ago as I wanted to buy some material to go with other pieces that I had to make patchwork doonas for the new caravan. Patchwork for me takes quite a long time so I figured I would start early.

Bit of a disaster really as he didn't like any thing that I wanted to get and was drawn by these materials.
He said that they would save me having to cut and piece and of course he was right but I was trying to be frugal and use up some material that I already had. I made his quite quickly and had mine ready to sew, it was waiting and waiting. Finally Wednesday I sat down to the sewing machine and got it done and sewed the buttons on it to hold everything in place. The cream is the backing and has ghost trees on it.
Warren's has sports and mine has places, they are similar and the colours will blend in with the van.
Once these were finished, it was time for the next project. Youngest grandson had asked me to make him a jacket with lots of pockets, I told him that I would make it for his birthday. His birthday is next month, so plenty of time but I like to start early as things do tend to get in the way or I don't feel like sewing. Yesterday and today got much of it done, I had a pattern that I wanted to use but it needed to be traced and copied first. He loves green but the green I had was a bit too green so I have added green trim to brown check, hopefully he will get more use out of it being a neutral colour. So far I have ten pockets and have run out of places to put them so ten is going to have to do.
This is one of the fronts and a sleeve, the sleeves have two small pockets with a green button on each and the opening for the cuff is trimmed in green, I am considering adding a strip of green to cuffs, shoulder and collar. Not far to go now, should finish it over the weekend. I feel a little guilty as the only thing I had to buy especially was the open ended zip, think I will add a little some thing in each pocket
 

No comments:

Post a Comment