Friday 28 October 2016

River Crossings

Somebody decided it would be interesting to go home via Texas as we had not been that way before and logged it into the gps. We set off merrily and stopped for morning tea and change of drivers.

Five ks out the road, the gps tells me to turn right,what? That's a secondary road! It is tarred and so we take it, not a bad road but certainly not a 100k road. We figure that there would be no bfts (big .......trucks).

Its pretty quiet, nice country driving, then there is a sign warning to reduce speed, it was a bog hole all across the road, mindfull of the camper on behind I slowly drive through it, another five kilmetres further on, the same thing again.

There were six river crossings in all, Warren said they wee more like creek crossings but still......they were all flowing. There there was the occasional stock grids and a bl..........big mountain  which meant narrow road, double lines and there hadn't been any traffic behind me and then suddenly a local is right up behind. I assume local as he wanted to go much faster than me so figured that he had know the road far better than me. Luckily just as he caught up, there was a sign on the side of the road advising of a rest area. I was able to pull in until he passed and then back out again.

No further traffic until we were half way down the mountain on a steep decline, he just had to wait until we were down. Warren was waiting for it to rain, which usually happens when I drive but I figured that 6 water crossings, 4 stock grids and a mountain was enough for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment