Saturday 14 November 2015

Remembrance day

This is what November eleven was called when I went to school or Armistice day. People call it by different names and I heard an explanation on the radio.

I guess it is correct.

It is Armistice day if you are celebrating the end to arms (basically the end of the war).
It is Remembrance day if you are remembering the people who died in the war.
It is Veterans day if you are celebrating the people who survived and returned from the war.

So basically all of the above can be correct.

At work on the day, the younger group had a session in the big hall for the first lesson. It was not to do with Remembrance day but what struck me was the number of kids who were wearing a red poppy, it must have been about three quarters of them. I had to quickly go and buy one before the eleven o'clock call.

As it was a Wednesday, we were in class and a bell rang to announce the time, in class every one stood and observed the minutes silence.I didn't know how it would go as some of our students just cant seem to be quiet at all but you could have heard a pin drop in that class during that one minute, I was super impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment