Tuesday 3 November 2015

Melbourne Cup

We had our Melbourne Cup luncheon for our Red Hatters today. One of the group offered their home and we only had thirteen but that was plenty. We chose a theme of coming dressed as something starting with the letter C (for the Cup).

My first thought was a clown or a card and several people did give me suggestions as well. I settled on a card.
This was my hat and I bought two metres of white cotton material and made a simple shift, just by sewing up the sides and making a hole for my head then I glued playing cards on it front and back.

As I was preparing food to take I didnt wear it until I had delivered the food. Last year, every one brought a plate and there was so much food so the Queen and I decided to buy or make the food. We still had too much but it was better than last year as with the heat its so hard to keep everything cold. Luckily our hostess has a second fridge on her patio and she had emptied it for the day.

Our food also had a theme of C, we had chicken, coleslaw, Chinese fried rice, cups of lettuce/salad, curried eggs, cherios, a couple of plates of sandwiches consisting of cheese, corn and chicken (not altogether but three types. Crackers and dip followed by a cheese cake. 

It was a good day, we had sweeps and I won a first second and third, I did enter all three sweeps twice, costing me $21 and I won $52 so a good win, I cant remember winning a sweep before. 

Some of the other outfits were a Cat, a celebrity, a cook, a captain, a cappuccino(she was dressed in the colours of a coffee) someone came as themselves as her name starts with a C, a Countess and a cowgirl.

Bit of fun and everyone enjoyed it even though it was 33 degrees our hottest day yet. Then the race was won by the only female jockey, which was a first.

Third day of Nanowrimo and I am up to 4963 words (should be 5K by the end of the day) I will write for another half hour or so.



















No comments:

Post a Comment