Sunday 1 January 2017

Neck Scarves

I/we have been watching a lot of cricket lately. There has been a test match with Pakistan which they should have won, they batted for two days and one batter scored a double hundred. I think they ended up with over 400 runs. Our guys hung in there with the skipper getting 165 not out and then when the eighth person was out he declared giving us only a short time to get the Pakistan guys in again. It was very likely to be a draw, which I think it rather silly to call it a draw just because they didnt get finished, anyway aside from that the Aussies actually won as they bowled the Pakis out before they could catch up to our score, who would have believed it!

There was the test for five days during the day and the Big Bash series at night. Cricket again but much faster as they each have 20 overs to score as much as possible. Each state has a team with Melbourne and Sydney having two in the comp. They wear bright colours and even the commentators wear brighter more casual clothes, the two forms are on different networks but they dont compete for time as one is day and the other is night. The Big Bash does wonders for the game and they have sell out games to the grounds. I dont mind cricket on TV as I can do other things and then when something exciting happens, there is always a replay. No way would I go to a game but I probably would consider going to a Big Bash, BBL or T20.

Anyway we have been watching quite a bit on and off and while watching, i have been knitting. Only small things, with the house closed up and the A/C on its not so bad.
I have set myself a challenge, I do like challenges and its usually only against myself but I want to have a box full of goodies to take to a friend who runs a charity called "Knitting for Brisbane's homeless". There is always a need for blankets and I did knit one after we came back from holidays so that is in the box along with a few beanies. Now I am knitting Button up neck scarves. They use less wool and take up less room, with the buttons, its easier to have them up close to the neck to keep warm. I had bought a lot of wool n the sales just after Winter and some is ideal for these scarves as they are a thicker ply.

The lighter pink one took a long time almost a week and I started that before Christmas, it was two 4 ply wool knitted together. The others two whites and three dark reds I have made since Christmas, I think they are about 12 or even 16 ply. The white ones are very soft and I made one to the pattern of nineteen stitches and it is very wide so I adjusted the second one to only thirteen. It is called a seed stitch which i hadnt done before. 
I sewed all the tail ends in last night and stitched the buttons on, no need for button holes as the buttons can be pushed through the stitches making them adjustable. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment