Thursday 26 January 2017

Aprons

My mum always wore an apron and there are times when I know I should but I had not owned an apron in years. However, from one of my online things that pop up in my email box from time to time, there was a tutorial on how to make an apron from a metre of fabric in less than an hour.

What a challenge! plus I had everything on hand. Last time I went to Spotlight and they had a sale, I bought the end piece of fabric quite cheaply. I can't remember how much but I do know that if the rest of the roll was bought, it was cheaper so it was only a few dollars.

No pattern was required, this get better and better so I actually read the whole thing through, it was only one page.

Ok so i need to measure from top to bottom so where I wanted the top to be to the length I wanted it. Then measure from one hip to the other, and across the top and that was basically it. There were no measurements or suggestions about the straps. An arc from the side top to the hip measurement gave the arm "hole" and was where the back straps around the waist were to be placed.

I cut the main piece according to the measurements that I took and did a small hem around all of it. The side pieces of fabric that were cut off became the neck straps and the back straps. They were quite wide so I ironed a turn over and then turned them on to themselves and sewed all around them. I did think to put stiffing in them then I decided not to as the straps will be tied so dont need it.


I had enough fabric to make two more as i have a gift to make for a friend and her daughter so I made them one each. the one on the back of the chair is for the daughter who is 8/9, Aidan bless his cotton socks consented to be measured for that one. The bottom one is the adult sized one. The fabric is quite light and as the gifts will be winging their way to Mc Kay North Queenslan where it gets get hotter than here, quite suitable for their weather.

It probably took me longer to make as I was ducking out to watch the tennis in between sewing, measuring and pinning but a good exercise. All I have to do now is to remember to wear mine when I am cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment