Friday 30 December 2016

Sweet Treats

I didnt make very many of these but I did make two just in case no one wanted what I had made for dessert.

These are a couple left over. The front in the front is what I called rum balls for want of a better name and my Mum always used to have rum balls when we went to visit, not sure if she ever put rum in them but that was their name.

I have made rum balls before and they are hard work and make a lot so i made my own version this year.
I had dates and blue berries both dried and I threw them a couple of handfuls each in the Annie thermomix then added some coconut and the rest of the cocoa that I had then about a half a tin of condensed milk. It was still a little sticky when I took the mixture out so I added some rolled oats, small balls rolled in cocoanut, done in less than ten minutes. As I hate rolling them, I got Warren to help so we both had sticky hands.

The Jelly slice was another one that Mum used to make regularly but I got the recipe from a Blgger that I follow. It was pretty basic and easy. One plain packet of biscuits crushed 7 seconds in Annie fixed that, 750 gms of butter? that seems excessive so I halved it and it set just as well. I dissolved some gelatine in hot water and added it to the rest of the condensed milk with some lemon juice and then when that was set added the red jelly on top.

I rarely follow a recipe to the nth degree, both these recipes had called for a full tin of condensed milk whereas I used one for both, now I have a tin left in my pantry.

From the same blogger I read about a Christmas cake/pudding and as that was so easy I decided to make it, I didnt think to take a photo though. We had it as a pudding on Boxing day and I gave some away. I just about followed the recipe!

This is it.
One 750 iced coffee (or you can make your own) I did using three spoons of coffee and two of sugar, adding hot water and then topping up with milk, to make 750 ml, it was about half and half.

A packet of mixed fruit soaked in the coffee mixture over night, mine was a big pack so i used two cup fulls.

Add two cups of SR flour ( I felt it needed more so added an extra half cup)

Then here is the best bit at this time of year.

Line a slow cooker with baking paper, add mixture, place a tea towel or similar between the cooker and the lid. Cook on high for one hour, reduce heat and cook for another three hours.

It is a practically set and forget, the cake of course comes out the shape of the slow cooker, mine is oval but thats fine.

I was making this for dessert for friends coming over and put it on to cook after lunch. Mid afternoon i whipped some cream and I thought i was using the jugs plug but I turned off the slow cooker so of course it wasnt cooked, so well it was good the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment