Friday 2 December 2016

Summer Fruits

Got to love summer for the fantastic fruits that are around. When i was a kid we had heaps of fruit trees in the back yard, there were about five different types of plums, one was called a Christmas plum as every year just before Christmas they were all ripe. Mum made jams and also preserved some. Besides the plums there were nectarines, peaches, quinces (Yuk!) but no apricots.

After one summer holiday, going into high school  I was slightly retarded on one side, couldn't walk properly, couldn't write properly and apparently my speech was distorted too. It was picked up at school and I had to have lots of tests and it was put down to the fact that I had too much fruit acid in my body and my fruit intake had to be curtailed and monitored.

No chance of that happening now but then I remember picking five or so nectarines for morning tea, the same for afternoon tea, then there was jam to eat and usually stewed fruits for after dinner.

This is what we had for dessert tonight and it reminded me of my childhood, probably didnt taste quite the same but yummy anyway.
Cut up nectarines and I did have some cream. Of course milking cows when growing up we always had cream, now its a rare occurrence.
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment