Tuesday 16 June 2015

My own design.

As I don't usually sew very much for myself now, I sew and knit for a charity. Some of the things that they use a lot of, is tampons. The charity is mainly for women who have left their homes for some reason. I had bought some tampons to send the last time that I sent a box but in the end it didnt fit in. I was left with this box and of course I ended up with pieces of materials from other projects. Too big to throw out but really too small to make clothes or anything.

I had made book covers for the same charity using up some materials. A book cover takes two pieces about 18 inches X 10 inches. I find inches n this case easier to work with and my tape measure has inches on one side and cms on the other.
I didn't even measure these, I just used a piece of paper for a pattern, then cut two pieces of fabric and sewed together then folded up and stitched the "pocket" and then stitched the top over, that was stitched to keep it down and then I sewed a button on to give a bit of weight and interest. The group prefers things that can become a person's own, so I don't make anything that is the same, buttons and trimmed make them different to each other.

Bits left over went in the bin, there was very little left. The pouches hold four tampons and I made ten yesterday. Handy to put in a pocket or handbag and enough for a day trip out

No comments:

Post a Comment