Wednesday 19 February 2020

House insurance

It's that time of the year again.
Each year, I tend to compare insurance companies against who we use, so far I have not changed.
We had a recommendation to look at defence, I think they do insure non military but being ex-service,  we were entitled to a discount.

Warren contacted them a couple of weeks ago and their quote was over two thousand dollars, this was with service and age discount. We thought it must be wrong and we renewed with our existing company.

However it irked me that there was so much difference. When we first heard about them, I did my normal research and from eight different companies, got figures between $750 and $1100, only one was over a thousand.

We figured that they must have miscalculated something to be so out. Not that we were only to change as our insurance has been paid, it was due at the end of the month, it was agreed that I would contact them.

I did drop the contents a little lower as most companies have a minimum of $50k, theirs was 26k, I opted for 35k. I answered a lot of questions about the house and the use of and where situated. Final figure was $1010 or so I thought. Email confirmation was $1710 for house and $326 for contents.

Certainly won't be changing but I do wonder if we are missing something. Dollars to rebuild house was within a few hundred. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment