Wednesday 10 August 2022

Metro in Canberra

 Three years ago a light rail opened in Canberra, north of the city. At the moment it only runs from the northern suburbs into Civic, (CBD).

I like trains and trams so we drove to the end of the line, not that far from where we were staying, parked and bought a ticket. All day cost us $9.

Wow, quiet and fast. Fourteen stops and it runs every fifteen minutes, would have been great when I was working as there was a stop seven minutes walk, would have saved me a few parking tickets. Opposite my office building was parking for four hours, always the intention to move the car at lunch, sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't, sometimes I got a ticket, probably one a fortnight.

We went all the way to Civic, checked out my old building which is now a restaurant, two in fact, one Chinese and one Malay, we went to the Malay as the first one was full, no tables to be had.

We lunched and then caught the next one back as it was too cold to be out for long.


Warren was impressed by the fact that the tram had right of way, did not have to stop at any lights. Plans and construction are in place to extend it to the south. The sooner the better I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment